Friday, November 28, 2008

Three things you learn from ‘When Harry Met Sally’

'When Harry Met Sally' is one of my favorite comedies. The last Wednesday night I was watching it (again!). I noticed following three things:

1. Women wore their pants above their belly button in the 80s.

Thank God they don’t wear pants like that anymore.

2. Meg Ryan looks really horrible when she cries.

I always thought of Meg Ryan as epitome of cuteness. But man while crying she looks horrible!

3. Charlie Chaplin had babies when he was 73.

Really? Is that true?

Ok enough of bullshit. Those aren’t the things I want to talk about. 'When Harry met Sally' is always an intense emotional experience for me. (Dude, what are you talking about? Ain’t it supposed to be a romantic comedy?) Yes it is a comedy but it is lot more than a comedy. Every time I watch it something or other lingers with me. This time around the dialog that stuck with me was, when Sally says,
I can't do this anymore. I am not your consolation prize.
Now, I was like, why this particular line of all those snappy dialogs? I don’t know. The film ended. Harry and Sally finally fell in love and got married and probably lived happily ever after. But what about me? (ME????) All I could think about was,
I can't do this anymore. I am not your consolation prize.
It was already past 2 o’clock in the night but how could I sleep with that line ringing in my head?
I can't do this anymore. I am not your consolation prize.
I said “Hell!” and started watching Casablanca. (And yes I agree it is probably the greatest screenplay ever written.)

(Spoilers ahead if you haven’t seen Casablanca and you intend to see it, you don’t want to read any further.)
I can't do this anymore. I am not your consolation prize.
Weren’t these Rick’s exact emotions in the middle of the movie? But in the end Rick let’s Ilsa go with Victor Laszlo. He does it for love. He doesn’t get Ilsa, they don’t live happily ever after, yet in his own way Rick is complete. He is complete with love!

(It was 4:30 am when I finally slept that night. But yes I slept happily thereafter.)

No comments:

Post a Comment