Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The One about Feeling Small, Insignificant and....

Well almost a month has passed since I have written the last post on this blog and yes it’s just the usual reason: too much work. (Read: Procrastination) But it’s not really true. Twice during last month I found myself having the time and subject matter to write about but I didn’t. Why? Because the inspiration behind both the posts was negative emotions. Anger, angst and rage. One was related to corruption and other about BJP playing ‘Ram Mandir Issue’ as its trump card for the next general elections. Why I avoided writing those posts is because criticism solves little. Most of the time thoughts generated from negative emotions aren’t practical solutions to the real problems.

Why today’s post? Well in a way this one also stems from another negative emotion. It is about feeling small. It is about feeling insignificant. It is about feeling helpless. But nevertheless I am going to write this one.

When we think of the universe and ourselves, we can’t help but think that we are insignificant. Think of it, how many things can go wrong and in a short time the world as we of it will cease to exist. Science Fictions writers make there living out of such stuff.

When we think about the problems that human beings from all around the planet are facing, what we find? Terrorism, religious divide, war, poverty, hunger, … the list is almost endless. And what I can do about it? Nothing. The problems seem so enormous that whatever solution I can think of falls short of the reality. If you take a look at the history, it is filled with policy decision of Governments gone wrong. Many of them taken in good faith, but gone wrong during the implementation.

There is a theory: In large scheme of things whatever you do doesn’t matter in the long run.

Consider the example of medical health care. Sure we have found out cures to many diseases which have resulted in longer longevity. But at the same time we have found out more efficient ways to kill thousands of people in matter of seconds.

We have achieved faster transport but the no. of accidents is ever increasing.

There is no less grief (physical & emotional) in the world than that was a 100 years ago or probably a 1000 years ago.

Doesn’t one feel almost helpless? Sometimes I think this inability to find solutions to problems beyond our control gives birth to philosophy like, ‘Tum kya karate ho? Jo karata hai wo Who karavata hai?’ – ‘What do you do? Whatever happens is because of the Gods will.’

You are a droplet in the sea. All you can do is to move with the weave.

Trying to bring the change is futile. Stop worrying (caring?). Instead enjoy your life to the fullest! The world can take care of itself.

Really convincing, isn’t it? Why because it makes evading the responsibility so much easier.

What can I do? I am just an insignificant speck of dirt in the tornado.

Image Credit : Saiuri


And…

Did you read the title of the post? It ends with and ‘and…’ So here is the ‘and…’ part,

And… Kaala Bandar!!!

What? From where did the ‘Kaala Bandar’ come from? Well it comes just like that, whenever the plot needs it.

Well if you don’t know Blogger has this nice feature, using which you can save your half-finished post as draft and then finish it later on. So yesterday night when I felt very tired after writing about that 'feeling insignificant bit of piece of shit', I did just that. I hit the ‘Save Now’ button and turned off the lights.

And today I found out that I could take out 3-4 hours to go to E-Square and watch ‘Delhi 6’. (Oh! Don’t ever believe that ‘I found out that I could take out…’ crap, in truth it was like my hands were shaking, I felt seriously ill and inadequate, I couldn’t concentrate and I had to go and watch a movie in a cinema theater. Yes I accept I am addicted!)

And boy! What a movie it is! Awesome, wonderful, terrific, great…. I am out of superlatives! Great cinematography, awesome music score and simply great direction. One rarely gets to see such a perfect use of symbolization in a Bollywood (or Hollywood for that matter) movie. At one side we have Lord Hanuman and at the other we have Kaala Bandar. Both represent two essential natures of the human beings and it's up to us what we choose to become. And the writer and director - Prasoon Joshi and Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra were spot on when they choose Delhi-6 to represent the India. With little bit of difference we have met/seen all these characters in our life.

Well I could go on and on about the movie the point is, the protagonist chooses to make a difference and yes he get horribly beaten up and gets shot for making the right choice. And I guess this fear of getting beaten up is what stops us from making the decisions which can alleviate (if not solve altogether) the problems we are facing today. But we never make those decisions. I know I haven’t taken any of those decisions! Being an insignificant speck is what we choose! One of the countless insignificant specks driven by the powerful wind of hatred forming the tornado which threatens to finish the ‘civilization’.

Image Credit : demordian


Image Credit : demordian


Image Credit : Tinneketin

No comments:

Post a Comment